When faced with an unplanned pregnancy the final decision about your course of action should be the result of your own decision-making process. You may ask yourself, what should I do about my unplanned pregnancy and how do I make this decision? Of course, it is okay to consider the opinions of other people, but keep in mind that you, not they, will have to live with decision. The following tips are designed to help you think about your values, beliefs, and circumstances. Then you can make the best decision for you and your family. The direction you decide upon might be the most important decision you have ever made, so be sure to take enough time to consider every aspect of your decision.
- Do not rush your decision. You have time. Take a deep breath!
- Find a quiet place where you can sit down with a pen and paper.
- Record and describe your thoughts and feelings upon discovering that you were pregnant.
- Make a chart with two columns for each major option. In one column list the positives and in the other column, the negatives.
- Briefly describe what you think your life and your child’s life would be like based upon the options that you are considering.
- Write two letters to your child. The first is to them if you place them for adoption, and second is to them if you choose to parent.
- Give yourself permission to explore and think about all your options.
- Be kind to yourself — you will feel differently about your options/decision from day to day.
- Find as much information about what you need to support your decision (such as what support networks are available to you).
- Ensure you look after yourself physically and emotionally.
- Try to think about this decision in terms of what is “Good, Better, or Best.” It is easier to see the difference between a bad decision and a good decision than to determine what would be better and best for you and your child.
If you need help with the decision-making process, Hand in Hand Pregnancy and Adoption is here to help. We offer decision making counseling as well as parenting support and adoption planning. Please visit our website for more information or look us up on social media. Click the following link to learn more about our services https://www.handinhandpregnancy.com/.
Unexpected Pregnancy: 5 Things to Do Before Making a … www.myfutureapproved.com/unexpected-pregnancy-5-things-to-do-before-making-a-decision/.
“Adoption Benefits: Advantages for Adoptive Parents, Adoptive Children and Your Community.” Children’s Home Society of Virginia, 29 Jan. 2020, chsva.org/blog/adoption-benefits-community/.